Hello! Welcome to my little piece of the interwebs. I'm glad you stopped by! My page is currently under construction. A work in progress, shall we say. So please excuse the mess. :)

Please let me know you were here by leaving a comment. That way I can return the visit! And if you'd like to grab my blog button, scroll down to the bottom of the page.


Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Wild & Wonderful Wednesday - the Finale

Hello!  And welcome to the final edition of Wild & Wonderful Wednesday.  I've been contemplating dropping this link up for a few weeks and I feel that now it is time to let it go.  I've enjoyed having each of you with me each week, but I feel bad that I just haven't had the time to visit everyone who links up.  While that may not be a big deal to some, it is important to me.  And if I can't give this link up my all, then I would rather not do it.

Having said all that, I want to thank you for linking up!  Whether you linked up once or you do every week, I appreciate your support!  Maybe if things slow down a bit in my life, I will start the linky back up again.  Maybe someday.  But for now, I hope you enjoy my last Wild & Wonderful Wednesday photos.

Those of you that were around back in September may remember this crazy-looking caterpillar that we found in our back yard.
September 14

After a little research we found out it was a Spicebush Swallowtail in its final larval stage.  So we kept it in one of our bug boxes and within 2 days it formed a chrysalis.

October 21 - Chrysalis

It had been in chrysalis since September ... apparently it was overwintering.


Yesterday I noticed that the chrysalis was getting dark - almost black.  Alex and I talked about it and thought that either it was ready to be a butterfly or it had died.


Well, this morning as Alex and I were getting ready to walk out the door to go to Bible study, I checked on it and inside the bug box lay a beautiful butterfly!  I thought it was dead because it was just laying there, but when I opened the lid and picked it up, it fluttered and moved around.  We were so excited!


DSC_0001-002


Not knowing what Spicebush Swallowtail butterflies eat and having to leave to get to Bible study, I quickly sliced an orange and placed a piece in the bug box and off we went.  When we got home, we got to spend a little more time with him.


DSC_0043-001


Unfortunately his wings aren't formed correctly and he will probably never fly.  Not for lack of trying though.  He's a fighter.  He didn't pick the best day to emerge since the temperature today didn't get much above 40 degrees.  (After last week's summer-like temps, it felt very cold).  So we placed him in our butterfly house and he's currently hanging on one of my primrose plants (the only flower I had to offer him).


DSC_0040-001
(This photo is of his good wing).


Hopefully he'll survive the night and tomorrow I can find some nectar-producing flowers for him.  In the meantime, we are enjoying his company.  And the fact that he stayed pretty still for his photo shoot.  :)

Now it is your turn!  Link up your Wild & Wonderful photos below.  
Just a few things first ...
1.  Grab my button for your post and link up below (or use a text link).  Thank you!
2.  Link up your post URL (or Flickr photo URL), not your blog URL.
3.  Photos must be yours please.
4.  Try to visit and comment on a few other linker uppers. 
5.  You have until Saturday at midnight to link up!
A Fresh Perspective



Also linking up with these lovely ladies ...
      Live and Love...Out Loud   and then, she {snapped}  


13 comments:

Rainey said...

That's so cool that you've sheltered so many butterflies! Poor thing that he'll never fly. Maybe he will surprise you and figure it out.

Sorry I haven't been better about linking up, but I haven't been taking many pictures lately either... life's been nuts.

Susan said...

Beautiful! How amazing it actually hatched! Love that last shot, so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Sad to see this go, but I know what you mean. I haven't been giving it all the past few weeks. I have thought about giving it up too.

Daenel T. said...

Absolutely gorgeous. What an amazing gift to watch this little guy go from larva to butterfly.

Unknown said...

I do remember that caterpillar. Wow! So neat to see the butterfly now. I'll miss your link-up, but I totally understand. :)

Pieni Lintu said...

Cool shots!

Laura said...

That pic of the wing is AWESOME!!

Gina Kleinworth said...

While I am sad that it's ending- I completely understand.

Love your butterfly- that is truly incredible!!!!

Hope things get better for you & you are able to catch your breath.

Unknown said...

Thanks for having us! Great butterfly shots!

An Apel a Day said...

I love the process it takes to see a butterfly. So cool!

http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/03/ww-reading-linky.html

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Wow fabulous macros, stunning!!

Nadege, said...

Such a beautiful transformation, what a shame he will never fly.

Thank you so much for hosting this link, sorry to see it end. I have enjoyed seeing all the wonderful images here.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful surprise to have it emerge. Too bad about its wing, but glad it found the right family to give it a good life.